Making Government Mobile
Everyone knows mobile is important. The 2012 Digital Government Strategy will make open data the default for government IT systems and will embrace the use of Web APIs, which enable the federal government to more easily deliver information and services through multiple channels, including mobile.
One of the Digital Government Strategy’s milestones is for agencies to “optimize at least two existing priority customer-facing services for mobile use and publish a plan for improving additional existing services.”
Here are a few resources to help you make your agency data and services mobile:
Mobile Gov Wiki
The Mobile Gov Community of Practice members created a wiki with over 100 articles about Mobile Gov topics and their practices. The Mobile Gov Wiki includes tools and resources to help agencies build a mobile strategy and implement customer–facing mobile products so they don’t have to reinvent the wheel. These include:
- Mobile definitions and mobile device capabilities, which explain how augmented reality works and how it's being used in government–produced apps.
- Discussions on mobile good practices and other topics such as: native apps, mobile Web, responsive design, APIs, security, accessibility, or even something simple, such as how to enter into an app agreement in the Apple App store. These articles can include real policies and plans from federal government agencies.
- Mobile Gov Experiences are federal agency stories about the methods they used to created mobile products. Mobile Gov Experiences allow government and industry to collectively share stories so that others may learn and provide feedback to each other.
- Statement of Work (SOW) and Developer Qualifications (Mobile Gov Wiki)
- Guidelines to Testing (Mobile Gov Wiki)
Mobile Gov Blog
The Mobile Gov Blog is a government blog with news and trends to keep you up–to–date on what agencies are doing in mobile citizen service. You’ll find general mobile news, trends in mobile use, government examples and other resources to help agencies implement mobile for the public.
Mobile Gov Community of Practice
The Mobile Gov Community of Practice is a cross–government, multidisciplinary community dedicated to creating open systems and technical assistance tools to build a public–centric path to government anytime, anywhere. Participation is limited to federal government employees.
Mobile Apps Gallery
Apps.usa.gov is the government mobile gallery that features mobile websites and apps produced by the federal government. There is a Spanish language equivalent at apps.gobiernousa.gov where you can find examples of federal government apps and mobile websites.