Tools for Government Agencies
Many of the following shared tools and services are free or of nominal cost to U.S. Government agencies.
If your agency (U.S. federal, state, local or tribal government) offers a tool or service that can be shared with other government agencies, or if you know of a free or low-cost tool or service that might be helpful to others in the government Web community, please contact us.
Content Management Platform
- Sites.USA.gov—GSA offers a secure and compliant self-service content management platform built on WordPress. This shared service is available for all federal agencies.
- Digital Analytics Program offers advanced, easy Web analytics to federal agencies.
- Web Code Sharing Wiki—A space on OMB's MAX wiki to share Web code across government. You can submit requests for code you need, share your code, and suggest ways to improve the space. (Note, only employees of U.S. federal executive branch agencies can currently access the MAX wiki)
- Project Open Data (GitHub) is an OMB and OSTP resource. It's an online repository of tools, best practices, and schema to help agencies adopt the framework presented in the Open Data Policy OMB Memorandum M-13-13: Open Data Policy—Managing Information as an Asset (PDF, 6 MB, 12 pages, May 2013)
Wikis and collaborative tools for government agencies:
- Web and New Media Community—a collaboration space for government Web content and new media managers, and Web contractors with a government email address
- Challenge.gov—Platform for federal agencies to post challenges, and gather ideas and input from the public on how to fix them. Learn more about Challenge.gov
- OMB's MAX Wiki—Space for federal executive branch employees to collaborate
Contact Center Services
- USA Contact Center Services—Helps federal government agencies manage contact, call, and customer services centers
- USA.gov Mobile Apps Gallery—List your agency's mobile apps here
- USASearch Affiliate Program—A free search engine for government websites
Federal–Compatible Terms of Service Agreements
- Terms of Service (ToS) agreements—Negotiated agreements that resolve legal issues in standard ToS agreements
Social Media Registry
- Social Media Registry—If you work for the U.S. federal government and have a .gov or .mil email address, use this tool to register social media accounts managed by federal agencies (including accounts for elected officials, heads of agencies or Cabinet members).