Minimize IT Security Risks While Using Social Media
|Date:||Thursday, May 24, 2012|
Kurt Garbars, GSA
Kevin Haley, Symantec
NOTE: Large files will take more time to download.
- Webinar recording: Minimize IT Security Risks While Using Social Media (WMV, 37.2 MB, 47 minutes, May 2012)
- Presentation slides: Social Media Security Best Practices (PDF, 432 KB, 9 pages, May 2012)
- Presentation slides: Minimize IT Security Risks While Using Social Media (PDF, 2,429 KB, 35 pages, May 2012)
- Transcript: Minimize IT Security Risks While Using Social Media (PDF, 29 KB, 8 pages, May 2012)
Have you ever thought twice before clicking on a link? You should. While social media use is common practice at many federal agencies, these tools don't come without risk.
Federal employees should be aware of the mistakes they can make and the scammers looking to take advantage. Join Kevin Haley from Symantec and GSA's Kurt Garbars as they show you how to avoid some common social media pitfalls.
What You'll Learn
This webinar will teach you:
- What could go wrong if your computer or your site is attacked
- How agencies unknowingly get in trouble with cyber criminals
- The common tricks used by spammers and malware authors in social media
- The simple steps your agency can take to protect itself and its reputation from cyber threats
About the Presenters
Kurt Garbars is the Senior Agency Information Security Officer at GSA where he has led the IT security program for the past 11 years. He is also the current Acting Director of GSA’s Enterprise Infrastructure Directorate.
Kurt is the former chairman of the CIO Council’s Cloud Computing Security Working Group (CCSWG). His vast experience includes but is not limited to: mobile device and remote access security, cloud computing security, security architecture, vulnerability, database, and web application security scanning. He also previously worked at the Department of Defense as an information systems security officer, an IT security engineer, and an electronics engineer.
A Certified Information Systems Security Professional, Kurt has bachelor’s degrees in both chemical and electrical engineering and a master’s degree in business administration.
Kevin Haley is the Director of Product Management for Symantec’s Security Response, where he is responsible for ensuring the security content gathered from Symantec’s Global Intelligence Network is actionable for its customers. This includes educating customers on security issues and incorporating the security content into Symantec’s enterprise and consumer product lines.
During his 12 years at Symantec, Haley leveraged his security expertise in the development of the company’s antivirus solutions for endpoints and mail servers, and in creating network and system management solutions.