The Science of Search: Competitive Intelligence for the Government Web Manager
|Date:||Tuesday, April 7, 2009|
|Presenter:||Bill Tancer, Hitwise, Inc.|
NOTE: Large files will take more time to download
- Webinar recording: The Science of Search: Competitive Intelligence for the Government Web Manager (WMV, 89 MB, 2 hours, April 2009)
- Presentation slides: The Science of Search: Competitive Intelligence for the Government Web Manager (PDF, 4.3 MB, 45 pages, April 2009)
Why would a government web manager need competitive intelligence? Does the U.S. Government have competition?
While there are no direct competitors to most content offered on our government websites, those same sites compete for the attention of U.S. Internet users. By leveraging online competitive intelligence, we can better understand our end-clients and serve the right information to them at the right time.
Using the presenter's recent New York Times best-selling book "Click" as the foundation of this two-hour webinar, the session will cover the following topics:
- The tools of competitive intelligence: site rankings, click-stream and search term data, demographics, and lifestyle measurements
- Topical seasonality – how does the timing of interest on specific topics play into your site content and search strategies
- The online persona – leverage demographic and psychographic data to understand who is visiting your site and what information is most important to that visitor
- Predicting what's next online using early adopter analysis, determine what type of online content you should plan for in the near future.
The presentation will also use webinar participants' websites to describe some of the techniques possible with competitive intelligence, as well as what tools are available (free and subscription based) to understand your constituency.
About the Presenter
Bill Tancer is the General Manager, Global Research at Hitwise. Bill brings 12+ years of marketing, market research and corporate strategy experience to Hitwise. As the GM for Global Research, he provides cutting-edge research and insight into online consumer behavior and the application of online competitive intelligence.
Bill's analysis of the online landscape has been quoted extensively in the press, including the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, USA Today and Business Week. Bill is a frequent guest on CNBC, and has been interviewed on MSNBC, NPR, CNN Radio and CBS Radio. In addition to speaking at keynote events, Bill is the author of a weekly online column for TIME, "The Science of Search." He was also named Television Week's "12 to Watch" for 2008 and is currently on the advisory board for the PEW Internet and American Life Project.
Prior to joining Hitwise, Bill has led market research and strategy teams at LookSmart, Zaplet, NBC Internet and Pacific Bell. Bill has also covered the Internet sector for Gartner Group as a senior technology marketplace consultant.
Bill has a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Florida in Quantitative Management and a Juris Doctorate degree from the Walter F. George School of Law, Mercer University.