Archiving Content/Web Records
All federal public websites* must comply with existing laws and regulations related to the management of public Web records, including the NARA guidance related to Web records issued on December 17, 2005. Organizations should review existing laws and regulations, and other guidance, to ensure that their public websites are in compliance.
- Code of Federal Regulations (CFR), Parts 1220-1238
- E-Gov Act of 2002, Section 207(e), "Public Access to Electronic Information"
- End-of-Administration Web Snapshot
- National Archives and Records Administration Web Harvest Background Information
- Federal Agency Records Officers, by Agency
- NARA guidance for Implementing Section 207(e) of the E-Gov Act pf 2002
- NARA Guidance on Managing Web Records (January 2005)
- NARA Guidance on Managing Records in Web 2.0/Social Media Platforms (October 2010)
- Implications of Recent Web Technologies for NARA Web Guidance
- HHS Policy for Records Management (January 30, 2008)
- How Federal Agencies Can Effectively Manage Records Created Using New Social Media Tools (IBM Center for The Business of Government, October 2010)
* These requirements apply to executive departments and agencies and their public websites. Check the specific law to see if it also applies to the judicial or legislative agencies or to intranets.