OMB Policy 4: Communicate with the Public, State, and Local Governments
Per OMB M-05-04, "Policies for Federal Agency Public Websites" (PDF, 48 KB, 5 pages, December 2004):
- Your agency is required under OMB Circular A–130 4 to establish and maintain communications with members of the public and with State and local governments to ensure your agency creates information dissemination products meeting their respective needs.
- Your agency is required under the Paperwork Reduction Act to manage information collections from the public or State and local governments (including website surveys or questionnaires) in the manner prescribed in OMB's guidance in 5 CFR section 1320. For additional information, see 1999 CFR Title 15, Volume 1 (Part 1320—Controlling Paperwork Burdens on the Public).
- Provide a "Contact Us" page
- Measure customer satisfaction
- Comply with the Paperwork Reduction Act
- Avoid putting information for employees on your public website