Search Engine Optimization
What is Search Engine Optimization?
Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the active practice of improving aspects of your website so that commercial search engines (such as Google, Bing, and Yahoo) can find and display your Web pages in the results when they’re relevant to a searcher’s query. Users generally expect to find the most relevant results at the top of the search engine’s results page.
How Do I Achieve Good SEO?
- Register for the commercial search engines' webmaster tools.
- Follow search protocols to improve indexing.
- How to Create a Robots .txt File
- How to Create an XML Sitemap
- How to Create Schema to Markup Structured Pages
- Stay current with recommendations for improving SEO.
- The Beginner's Guide to SEO
- Collection of SEO–related documents from the Bing Ecosystem
- Search Engine Land's Guide to SEO
- Google's SEO Starter Guide (PDF, 4.12 MB, 32 pages, September 2010)
- Understand the building blocks of SEO
There are key aspects of a website that need attention for search engines to identify, retrieve, and display the best content for a user’s search. The building blocks of good SEO include understanding:
- How commercial search engines work
- Site architecture
- Quality website content
- Search analytics